Curtis Carter is the Director of Residential Property Services and is responsible for the day to day operations of 9,500 apartment homes. Having been in the property management business for 40 years, Curtis has significant market experience and success in value-add management. Having repositioned over 150 apartment communities, he knows how to build the teams responsible for delivering predictable, consistent results. Other strengths include strategic portfolio direction and effectively managing growth in many different market conditions. His management teams have produced outstanding operating results with a focus on achieving maximum economic occupancy and expense control.
In this role, Curtis has ensured the delivery of expected returns by recruiting and retaining a best-in-class management team. He believes in the value of experience and the culture of managing in a people-centric environment. Enviable tenure of existing employees is attributed to the strength of the Thalhimer brand and opportunities to learn and grow. He takes the careers of those working with him seriously and is guided by principle and watching people succeed.
Prior to joining Thalhimer in 2013, Mr. Carter served in leadership roles at both Hercules Real Estate Services and United Dominion Realty Trust (UDR). By working in this capacity, he developed the ethos of ‘thinking like an owner’ since they are both engaged in only managing their own portfolio. He was instrumental in leading the growth and management of both companies. In the case of UDR, the company grew from 4,600 units to over 80,000 during his tenure. As Senior Vice President, he led the fully integrated operation of 25,000 apartments in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.
Designations & Professional Affiliations
- Certified Property Manager (CPM)
- Housing Credit Certified Professional (HCCP)
- Assisted Housing Manager (AHM)
- Member-Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM)
- Professor, VCU Kornblau School of Real Estate
Awards & Recognition
- President, Richmond Apartment Association
- NAA Panelist “Owner-Vendor Partnerships”
- Speaker and Presenter, Governor’s Housing Conference
- Board Member – Virginia Supportive Housing
- St. Thomas University, Miami, FL | BA European History, 1979